Monday, December 1, 2008

The Leo Buscaglia Foundation

My maternal grandmother's birthday is coming up in a few days. Eleanor was in many ways the stereotypical Italian Nonna. During Christmas dinners at her house, we would have to squirm through her recitation of a passage from "Seven Stories of Christmas Love" by one of her favorite authors, Leo Buscaglia.

Being that she and Leo were close in age and raised in similarly cultured homes, she just thought he was the cat's meow on humor and wit. I was too young [read: punky] to really appreciate much of him at the time my grandmother was sharing with all of us.

As life would have it, both Leo and Eleanor are gone now, but I find myself wanting to know more about this man she thought had such great gifts. I am reading one of his books "Loving Each Other, The Challenge of Human Relationships" Not at all a bad read so far. And when her birthday arrives on Sunday, I think I will celebrate it by donating to The Leo Buscaglia Foundation

Founded By Dr. Buscaglia in 1984, the foundation serves to give special aid and attention to those who have dedicated themselves to the betterment of others through the art of giving. The LBF is structured around the dynamics of sharing and giving, and influencing others to do the same, the roles of helper and helped constantly interchanging.

This dude may have been on to something: "It's not enough to have lived. We should be determined to live for something. May I suggest that it be creating joy for others, sharing what we have for the betterment of personkind, bringing hope to the lost and love to the lonely" ~ Leo Buscaglia

I invite you to click here and find out more about the work his foundation is doing.

No comments: