Monday, August 31, 2009

Marvelous Monday Meal Munchable In Minutes

Just getting through that title is enough to work up an appetite, I know. Hang in there though; this is worth it!
I made little bowl of Asian perfection on a Thursday, but it was so quick and easy that I thought it would be the perfect fare at the end of a busy Monday.

You will need:

4 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
A pinch of salt
A pinch of red pepper flakes (optional - like I have to tell you that, right?)
2 teaspoons rice vinegar
5 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2-3 scallions thinly sliced or 1 small shallot*

9oz Asian Noodles -- you can use any kind you like really. This time I used dry rice noodles that are about fettuccine width.

Two Baby Eggplant, sliced -- you can also add bok choy, snow peas, etc.

Take a small, dry pan and over medium high heat toast the sesame seeds until golden. Set aside.

Next mix together salt, red pepper flakes, rice vinegar, soy sauce, honey, sesame oil and set aside.

Set a pot of salted water on to bowl. Make sure you are using a pot large enough to give your noodles some room to swim; they will cook better. Add noodles when water is ready and cook following package instructions.

Heat a pan with some olive oil [or sesame oil if you want extra bold flavor] and saute the eggplant for a few minutes until tender. Then add your prawns and cook 3 to 5 minutes more depending on size and whether or not they are fresh or frozen.

Drain your noodles and throw them in a bowl. Add sauce to sauteed ingredients and immediately turn off heat and add to bowl with noodles [You don't want all of your sauce to cook down and not be liquid enough to spread over your noodles.].

Toss ingredients, dress with toasted sesames on top, and bust out your chopsticks baby! I am just telling you that to be festive, by the way. I only use forks - my native tool.

Enjoy!


Serves 2 to 4


Note: I highly recommend at least doubling the sauce so you have enough to really flavor your dish.


* When I use scallions I simply add them to the sauce, but when substituting with shallots, I add them to the saute when I add the prawns.




Adapted from Nigella Lawson's Soba Noodles With Toasted Sesame Seeds

No comments: