Thursday, January 8, 2009

When Good Gifts Go Ra -- I Mean Bad

I like to consider myself one of those adults that is regarded as semi-cool in the discerning minds of teenagers. This need stems primarily from a lack of understanding that I am indeed not a teenager myself, and haven't been for quite a while. Ahh -- seems like just yesterday I was 16, and plastic wrapping the freshman toilets before stupid Miss Schlotzhauer's (sp) stupid history class.

She was one of those teachers that literally droned through her lectures. Out of all the lame things about her though, I am going to have to go with the fact that on a regular basis she accidentally tucked the end of her skirt into her stockings and never caught it as my fave. She would also match her stockings to the colors in her skirts. Good times. So when her ass was hanging out veiled only by mustard hued nylons, I would hold vigil threatening fellow classmates if they insisted on calling this to her attention.

My golden era I tell ya!

But I digress....

So out of this sophomoric need to be a Sophomore, I made sure I got my boyfriend's 16 year old son a gift certificate to put towards this bad-ass Freebord he had on his Christmas list. I hit the gift giving nail on the head with this one [which is so tricky when you are working off of a wish list] and said Freebord was designed online and ordered by the end of Christmas day.

I helped pick out the deck color and design, by the way. Yeah, that's right Semi-Cool Adult called up and put in to action baby!

The anticipation was almost too much to bear. Were they working through the holiday to make this extra special, super-sick board? When would they ship it? How fast exactly is UPS ground going to be on this?

Finally it arrived about lunchtime on the 5th day of anxious nail biting. It gets busted out of the box ricky-tick, and Freebording commences! Woo-hoo!




And about two and half hours and one long wait at Urgent Care later......





There is nothing like the feeling you get when you try to make someone's day by getting them something they really wanted.......and they end up with a broken wrist -- in two places.

I should have stuck to my original plan of observing Hannukah this year -- Damnit!

No comments: